USS Salamonie (AO-26) Refueling ships on December 8,1958 off Majorca, Mediterranean Sea. Alongside to starboard the USS Newman K. Perry (DD-883). Photo taken from USS Randolph (CVA-15) as she pulls away from alongside and courtesy of CDR John Dowd, USNR
Salamonie: Wartime Configuration
- Cimarron Class Fleet Oiler:
- Displacement: 24,830 tons
- Length: 553'
- Beam: 75'
- Draft: 32'
- Speed: 18 knots
- Armament: 4 5"/38 DP, 4x2 40mm, 4x2 20mm
- Capacity: 146,000 barrels
- Geared turbines engines, twin screws, 30,400 hp
- Maritime Commission type
- Built at Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. and commissioned 28 Apr 1941
- ex-SS Esso Columbia
- "Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships" -- USS Salamonie
Click on the sextant below
to return to Cap'n Joe's Service Record
Last updated: March 4 2002